All purpose vertically integrated publishing empire for cynicism, hopelessness and misanthropy. Mild nausea is common when using this product. Other symptoms may include, but are not limited to: dizzyness, headache, homicidal rage and yellow discharge. Rarely, users may begin to hear voices urging them to kill. If this occurs, discontinue use and seek psychiatric attention. Do not read when pregnant or nursing; the author thinks that's gross.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Short Lit Challenge: What Hath God Wrought?

In order to sharpen my rusty creative writing as well as stave off boredom and clear out some of the mental sludge that idleness has left in my brain, I am submitting myself to a small torturous experiment. Each day, one of my so-called friends, either at random or in some rotation I have yet to determine, will give me a random word. In the English language; I feel I have to specify because I know people who speak German and I'm not about to try and tackle a thirty-five syllable word for the angst you feel when the guy ahead of you in line at the grocery store gets the last bagel. Don't look at me like that; I'm sure they HAVE a word for such a thing.

(Cue Don Henley: "I love those Bavarians... so meticulous.")

At any rate, that's the plan. I think a reasonable goal is, oh, five hundred words minimum, one assignment per day, with results to be posted here for maximum humiliation. Like all collegiate slackers I need to build in a safety valve, so I'm allowed to skip one assignment every two weeks without cause, and one assignment every two weeks for cause, either by virtue of sickness/emergency or with the consent of the person who gave me the word, who then gets the next spot in the rotation. If I fail two assignments in a row, it goes to the next person and I'm subject to public ridicule.

So, to summarize.

1) One word given to me each day by a 'friend'.
2) A short work, preferably fiction, of about five hundred words shall be written on that topic or primarily concerning that word.
3) That work shall be displayed the next day
4) One absence allowed per 14 days without cause.
5) One absence per 14 days with cause or consent.
6) In the event of one failure, the word-giver gets the next crack at an assignment; two in a row and it moves to the next sadist.

Well, that sets me up for a nice fall.

No comments: